Friday, March 7, 2008

House Renovation {part 3: DR & LR}

I really should be showering right now, but the dining room and living room were clean so I decided to take advantage and do post 3 on the house renovation. I took this picture above of our china in our china cabinet while snapping a few pictures of the room and thought it was very fitting to precede the dining room post. Justin made our china selection all on his own... not bad for a guy! I think he liked it because there were dogs, horses and guns on it! What a great compromise for china that both men and women will dine from!

These two rooms are directly off the kitchen and family room. Here are the before pictures...

Dining Room (Justin standing in door to kitchen)


If you turn around 180 degrees you'll see the living room

(lovely butterfly wallpaper is accented on the foyer wall too)

the foyer

Originally the only entrances into these two rooms were from the kitchen or the foyer but thanks to my husband's handiwork we opened up the wall 9' between the LR and FR for a better flow.


progress (you'll see that terazzo in the FR that almost caused a divorce) :)

We removed the foil wall paper, the white carpet, the vertical blinds and the dated curtains. We added a little paint (Benjamin Moore: Camoflage) to the walls and wood floors. My sister donated to the cause a gorgeous antique light fixture that she bought on ebay for $16. The Lamp Man himself had to rewire this one, as it was a tad too tricky for a novice like me. The the furniture in the LR and the mirror and light fixture in the foyer all came from that same antique mall that I love and ironically all from that same booth! The rug in the foyer came from AAA Freight Salvage house.... it was brand new and 100% wool and the best part $50. The blinds throughout the house I bought on blinds.com and the curtains came from none other than JcPenney and the curtain rods from Home Depot. I think that covers it. So, here it is now... I took many more "after" pictures; the before were taken when we were just "looking" at the house so I unfortunately didn't get every single angle!






















The end...

18 comments:

Tegan said...

Once again.....beautiful!!!! Everything is just amazing and I'm so proud of the work you all did! I love your round dining room table....Dave wants a round dining room table...he's big on everyone being able to see each other and talk. I love them too! BUT, I am thankful for the hand-me-down dining room table and hutch from his parents! One day Dave will get his dream old antique round dining room table!

TMB said...

it all looks so beautiful!

...and i happen to like justin's china selection...it's our everyday china too!! so true, great for men and women...and easy to add to. i have added plates and bowls from anthropologie that work well with it!!

everything looks amazing...like a completely different house!

Anonymous said...

you are such a rockstar! i love it. measure the inside of your camel back sofa (arm to arm) and i'll get you some cool bolsters to go in it. have you ordered a rug yet? it looks SO amazing! you should submit picts to Renovation Style.
xoxo
msis

Robin said...

It is so pretty. What kind of plant is that growing on your table? I need one like that. Robin

Caroline said...

I dont know how you could even see past all of that shiny wallpaper! I love seeing these Before & Afters!

Confessions said...

amazing!! isn't it so rewarding that you did it all yourself?!?! and i'm loving the china...that's what we eat on every night! i get so excited to see all these before and after pics! way to go!

Tara said...

I'm loving this before and after segment you're doing! I'm waiting (impatiently) for the girls' rooms...will you do that one next?? We're possibly coming to Dothan in the next couple of weeks so we should plan to get together. For real this time! HA!

Mitzi said...

I am blown away!!! Beautiful. Will call and get by this week. The black china cabinet is my favorite. It shows your china and makes such a "statement"-
love,
Mitzi

Anonymous said...

It really is remarkable what y'all have done!! I LOVE reading the before and afters and the way you write it - makes it sound like no problem at all :)

Love the Peeps Wreath, too!! So cute!!

Ashley, E and I (and husbands) went to dinner last night - wish you could have joined us!! :)

-Allyson

blair said...

Darby, I just love reading your blog now and then (and your sisters now too!)...you're home renovations are incredible, well done! I'm doing a minor revamp of my apartment in Boston as well, and while it's not nearly as big as your projects, I can only imagine how much work you and Justin put into it all (and still managed to be incredible parents from what it looks like!). xoxo, blair

Abby Maddox said...

In all seriousness, if we ever have any money, can I pay you to help me decorate our house.

Dena said...

could your house be any awesomer - is that a word? i love love love it!

the china rocks! i may have chosen to keep the "vintage" wallpaper and center the motif around it but to each their own!

everything looks fantastic! when it's time to do some update i am calling y'all!

simply seleta said...

All I can say is wow, well done. So elegant and classic. My only question is, "how is your home so clean?" Never ever look at my house. We always have a toy or two dotted around somewhere.

the woolseys said...

hi! i know you don't know me...i stumbled across your blog through friends of friends of friends! i wanted to tell you that i think your black paisley/floral chairs (and the rest of your house) are beautiful! ...i have a sofa in the same exact fabric! i've never seen it anywhere else until now! :)

and i love the recipe thing you're doing!

CBM Photo said...

Hey Darby,
I noticed the painted fireplace/brick that you have in your before/after. Do you have any advice about taking that task on? My fireplace is sucking the life out of my LR.

P.S. Can you call my paint-phobic husband and convince him of this idea?!

Esther said...

Hi, I'm new to your blog and let's just say my jaw is on the ground at the moment looking at your before and after photos. I have never seen such a transformation. You would NEVER guess that they are the same rooms. I have to show my husband. Maybe he'll get inspired too!

Totalrenovering said...

Wow, Fantastic its looks so fabulous. Thank you for sharing this article and keep up the good work.

Mac said...

Super clean! I like your house and the setup of furnitures.




Window washing Cape Cod