Friday, September 12, 2008

White Queso, anyone?

Justin and I are hardcore Mexican {food} fans. We became close friends with our favorite waiter at San Miguel's Mexican Restaurant several years ago and he so graciously offered me the recipe for that delicious "White Queso dip" that is offered at most fine Mexican establishments! So, without further adieu...

  • 1 package {24 slices} of white American {not the Swiss American-- white American}
  • a couple spoonfuls of chopped jalapenos {the pickled ones in the pickle aisle, they come sliced you have to do the chopping}
  • milk to thin

Unwrap the cheese and break/cut into small pieces and place in microwave safe bowl. Add a few spoonfuls of finely chopped jalapenos. I like to chop mine in the mini-food processor. I throw a little jalapeno juice in too. Microwave on high for 1 min. Stir and add some milk to thin. Continue to microwave, stir and add milk until you've reached your desired consistency. I prefer mine a little runny. I keep it in the crock pot to keep it warm while serving! Enjoy!

After you devour your cheese, I suggest you devour this:

Chocolate Eclair Dessert

I won't be surprised if y'all already know about this one... but I am surprised as to why none of you have told me about it!?! It's DELICIOUS!

My SIL brought it to our Taco Night on Sunday and I pretty much ate 2/3 of it by myself.

For the filling:

  • 1 large and 1 small box instant vanilla pudding
  • 1- 8 oz. container cool whip.
  • 1 box of Graham crackers

Mix pudding with 3 cups of cold milk and fold in Cool Whip. Layer graham crackers, filling, graham crackers, filling, graham crackers and finally top with the chocolate topping in a 9x13 pan and let refrigerate for 8 hours before serving.

For the chocolate topping:

{Thanks to informative readers, I've learned you can just use chocolate frosting from the store... nuke it to soften and spread it over top! 1 tub covered a 9x13 perfect}

  • 1 c. sugar
  • 1 c. butter
  • 1/3 c. cocoa
  • 1/4 c. milk
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • 1/8 tsp. salt

Bring to a boil, cook for 1 minute. Cool.

25 comments:

TMB said...

these both sound like things i could eat my weight in!!

yummmmm!

Anonymous said...

Everytime Will and I go to San Miguels we get your/our fav waiter and we talk about ya'll with him and give him updates. I could drink the queso with a straw...disgusting I know!
Love you guys...Caroline

megan @ a life's design said...

yummy! my hubby and I love Mexican food, and have our favorite place and waiter as well. he is always happy to see us and has remembered my order.
thanks for sharing the recipes. i plan on trying the cheese dip! happy weekend to you!

Mandy said...

Thanks for sharing...I will make sure I make both of these next week when I am home...we are off to Clemson for the game this weekend! Go Tigers...the other ones...Mandy

Jennisa said...

you made me laugh! My hubby and I also frequent our Mexican place all the time, and know our waiter as well! He HASN'T offered us any recipes, but he did invite us to his daughters 2nd birthday party! :)

Dona said...

You did not eat 2/3 by yourself! We had a great time! The tacos were a perfect "get together" meal-easy and fun! Thanks for the cheese dip! I had no clue it was so easy- that might be a little dangerous!
D

Unknown said...

Thanks Darby! I love Queso and we are having Taco night.... I might just have to make a trip to the store and make some! YUMMY!

Hannah Fields said...

yum!!! Someone made that dessert for me when we had Sam. however i have never attempted to make it on my own. i may just have to give it a try.

Wilson's Winners said...

Love it! We do a supper swap with 4 other couples each week {one of the couples cooks and we all go pick up when it's ready to eat...]this week we had the chocloate eclair for dessert although I could have eaten it for dinner too! That's the same Southern Living recipe I think...May even be yummier {if that's possible}with crushed graham crackers on it!!!
p.s. the queso would be a good game day treat:)

Unknown said...

I should not be reading this when I'm hungry for dinner!!! Now I'm wanting to make tacos this next week so I can make the queso! I've never heard of the chocolate eclair dessert but I love chocolate eclairs and that picture is making me drool...must make this weekend! thanks for the recipes :)

alston said...

i'm so excited about this recipe! we were in serious withdrawal up in boston. i called just about every mexican restaurant [which was about 3 total] and asked them specifically about queso. they had no idea what i was talking about! things are a little better in NC, but it's good to know how to make my own just in case...

kapeck said...

I love white queso...thanks for the recipe! Also, for the eclaire dessert you can use chocolate frosting from the container. I microwave it for a bit so its easier to spread! Yummy!

Courtney said...

Yea! Thanks for sharing. I luv White Queso.

Amy Nunnally said...

I have to second the comment about the chocolte frosting. Just buy a bucket of it, microwave it for one minute in the container and pour it over the top. If you let it sit 24 hours in the fridge, it gets even better!

J said...

I love queso Southern Chick style - a block of velveeta with a can of Rotel. YUM!

Julie Wolfe said...

The dessert sounds a lot like our 'play group surprise'! Only, you use a can of already made chocolate frosting. Yummm!

MIMILEE said...

We love mexican too and at our local fave restaurant they make this dip also but it has ground beef in it too......of course you brown the beef first before adding it to the white cheese and jalpeno peppers....ooooh so good!

Can't wait to try the chocolate eclair dessert! It looks sinful!

In His Grip,
MIMILEE<><

Beth Goff said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE white cheese dip... since I have lived in Texas and Cal for the past 5 years I have been deeply deprived of it! It is horrible! THANKS for sharing and I'll probably make it this weekend. Oh I am so thrilled... You might be my hero. I don't know why I have not thought of just making it or trying to make it!!
Oh and the dessert looks amazing too! I'll have to try it. Thanks!

The LaBouffs said...

Okay, so your are speaking my language, girl! I enjoy homemade mexican(or as I like to call Bexican...my nickname is Beka) more than Mexican resturants BUT I do love some white queso! I'll definitely be trying this recipe out very soon! Thanks for sharing!

Sue said...

I made the dessert late last night for tonight and it was DELICIOUS! Thanks so much.

MIMILEE said...

I made the queso dip and the dessert for the game last night!

Both were great and big hits!

Thanks, Darby!

The Pavliches said...

made the queso, it's great! I also added fresh sliced tomatoes and it tasted so yummy! We are going to mix it with sour cream and cilantro and try it on our enchilladas next time! Thanks for sharing!

beki said...

who knew white queso was so simple? YUM!!

megan @ a life's design said...

I made the queso this weekend. It was a huge hit! Thanks!
I used pre-diced jalpeno peppers by 'mt. olive'. As I was making it I would add jalpenos, blend, and taste. It nevered tasted hot or spicy enough, so I ended up adding the whole 12oz jar. Well after it was able to sit for a while it was plenty spicy! We had some last night and our mouths were on fire!So if you want it really hot and spicy, add a whole jar, but watch out!

Cassie {Hi Sugarplum} said...

My husband LOVES boston cream pie and requests one for his bday every year...I think this is an easier, better substitute!

thank you!

ps -- i'm wasting all kinds of my work day reading all your archives!!!!!!!!!

xoxo, cassie