Sunday, May 3, 2009

breakfast was good

Earlier this week I did some preparing for our guests with 4-year old Morgan. Honestly, I probably should have worked on the house but cooking/baking is so much more fun than scrubbing toilets, mopping floors, and folding clothes. Besides, they're family and really, they can look past a few piles here and there.

They arrived yesterday evening and are already gone. They have just run down to the beach to visit with Erika for a few days before returning on Wednesday. The crew consists of my mom, my aunt, and my cousin. They all live in Illinois, where the ground is still thawing. All I usually have to do is drop hints of sunscreen, 85 degree temps, a swimming pool, and sand between their toes and there's no need for arm-twisting to get them down here for a little mini-vaca.

I knew what I wanted to make for breakfast
Ham, Cheese & Spinach Strata


We started with the croissants...
IMG_4057

And you know, I didn't pay full price for those croissants... Walmart has bakery items for sale in the back of every store. The recipe calls for day or two old croissants so... why not?

IMG_3903
We sprayed the baking dish with non-stick spray and layered one layer of croissants. Then we sautéed the spinach in butter...
ingredients2
The recipe called for onions too. But I don't do onions in the morning... so we opted for a little Jane's Krazy Salt for seasoning.
IMG_4061
After the spinach cooled Morgan started to layer::: croissants, spinach, ham, cheese, croissants, cheese.
IMG_4069
Then I blended the eggs, milk, & mustard {but not the salt & pepper eventhough the recipe said to... they sink the bottom and when you pour the egg mixture over your casserole the salt & pepper all come out at the end and leave you with one salt & peppery pile}. If someone broke into your house and stole the lid to your blender, and you happen to catch them, let me know, because they stole mine too.
IMG_4064
Morgan had the honor of pouring the egg mixture over our layers... she did a great job!
IMG_4074
We "smooshed" it all down with a spoon so it'd be good and "soggy" and salt & peppered the top. Then we put ours in the freezer. I pulled it out to thaw {in the frige} the day before I wanted to serve it. It wasn't completely thawed this morning so I let it sit on the counter for 30 minutes before baking it.

While it baked this morning we all enjoyed time outside in our pj's with our coffee & the creatures.
IMG_4231
This little creature was passing through.

And this little creature was feeling neglected because I don't really pet her that often. I love her, I just don't like to smell like a dog. So, I usually just talk sweet to her. My aunt on the other hand is a hound dog lover if I've ever seen one. She can resist no dog... especially not this one.
IMG_4241
Eufaby {u-fob-ee} was in heaven... and it didn't take her long to hit the ground and roll over so she could get some more of that lovin' on her tum-tum...
IMG_4247
It didn't take long for Diana to see why it is that I don't pet her...
IMG_4251
Nothing like some dog hair and dirty dog grime on your fingers before breakfast! Perhaps the dog needs a good brushin'? And maybe a bath?

John Martin hadn't been up long and didn't know quite what to think about the situation.
IMG_4252
And I didn't know what to think about his blonde hair. I was just certain that one of my children would have a head full of dark hair. I digress...

Here are few little colorful plants around the yard...
IMG_4266
IMG_4267
IMG_4269
IMG_4273
And we got a new composter {at Sam's} that I'm super excited about!

Then breakfast was ready...
IMG_4283
...and it was good!


RECIPE source & info:: Ham, Cheese, & Spinach Strata. I omitted onions, used 6 croissants, used shredded deli ham rather than diced, added extra cheese, & used a total of 8 eggs {with an extra cup of milk}.

34 comments:

Amy said...

You can't help but love baby boys with expressive eyebrows! I can't help but smile when my son has that "look."

BTW, breakfast looks yummy!!!

Candice said...

Breakfast looks great, and about your dog, I like them too, but I dont pet them either. It's just that I dont want to smell like doggy either, and even if I wash my hands I still feel like it's on me, funny I dont feel the same way about changing a daiper, I mean I wash my hands but I get over it fast.

Anonymous said...

Why do people get a dog if they don't want to ... pet them? I don't understand. Dogs need love and affection and to be part of the family.

ClassroomEdit said...

Hi--

I wrote a comment the other day when you posted about your bathroom renovation, but fear it may have gotten lost among all of your accolades. :-)

If you are ever in need of subject matter for a blog post, could you perhaps consider a tutorial on how to make a stationary roman shade? I would love to do something like that in my bathroom.

Thanks!

Allyson said...

Thanks for the recipe!! I love it when you post recipes and almost always try them out sooner or later (I made whoopie pies when we were in Hartselle 2 weeks ago and they were a hit!). It looks delicious. Maybe I'll probably try it sooner than later!
If the annonymous post person only knew that Eufaby really has it made being your dog!!

Unknown said...

That sounds SO good! Thanks for the recipe!

The Sims Family said...

That JM is just a little doll - as all of your children are. I love their little faces! Breakfast looked yummy - I just wished I had it in me to cook! :)

alison giese Interiors said...

I had to laugh...Yesterday I hoped to make my Mom's wonderful chicken/mushroom/spinach quiche - but there are no ready-made pie shells down here, and I've never made one from scratch {gasp}! My hubby suggested I use melba toast (yeah, that's right ;) to line the pan - little did I know - it was merely a Stratta!!
Oh, I think Paige looks a lot like you - just blonder!
One more thing (promise) - Your rosemary is BLOOMING? I thought I was doing good with new growth! I've got garden envy! :0

alison g. (brazil)

Unknown said...

That casserole looks so good! Thanks for sharing the recipe. John Martin is such a cutie. You have such beautiful children! I think Paige looks like you the most.

Dianne said...

Paige is your twin.....now, the casserole looks delish and will be my next conquest! I am so glad you're enjoying your family. Is Erika's husband alright?

Anonymous said...

Your poor dog deserves to be bathed enough that you can pet him. Poor thing.
Also, just wait, those little blondies will turn darker as they get older. Mine did. Ha!
Ann

meredith said...

I'm totally going to have to make that strata! It looks delicious! I hear on the dog thing. Our Suzy is dirty a lot and half the time I don't want to pet her. But she's an inside dog and there is nothing better than curling up in bed with a dog! Maybe you can persuade Justin to bath Eufaby...

~Meredith

L said...

Love JM's little brow. :) Breakfast looks so yummy. My friend and I got together today (both bloggers as well) and found out we both read your blog. We also agreed that if we knew you in person, we're pretty sure we'd be friends. haha, hope that does not sound strange!! :)

Becky said...

you know that raiger looks like her mama!! minus the blonde. and as always, it looks super yum. and i need to whip your hiney about the whole nutella suggestion. i've always wanted to try it. i finally did. you are on my beast list....ok, you can be off of it if you tell me where you found the sunbutter. cause i can't find it. anywhere. and tell E that in addition to finding the cocoa almonds in a small jar, i noticed they have vanilla bean and cinnamon brown sugar if she is interested.

pve design said...

B'fast looks umm good. JM looks so cute.
pve

andi said...

I would be laughing out loud at the dog fingers...I don't pet ours either. Love him, but I leave the petting to the boys and Ben. I am with you on that one!!

andi said...

Oh yeah, I forgot to finish my sentence about why I would be laughin' out loud, but wasn't----the boys are asleep in the room next to me! :) ABSOLUTELY hilarious. :)))))

Hillary @ The Other Mama said...

Yummy to the breakfast!
JM and H make the same faces when they wake up!! haha!
AND... we don't have the center piece to our lid on the blender cover, either. Ours just has the center missing and our "solution" is to put a cup measure down there. Classy, huh?

BEST OF THE NEST said...

Looks delish and I can tell you are enjoying your new camera---

Sara Jane said...

Eufaby looks so sweet!!! If you ever need a doggie sitter, I'm available!

Caroline said...

Yum!! looks good!

Darby, I am so proud of myself. I finally started a project and finished it... your Hair Bow Tutorial. Thank goodness it was the easiest thing to do because I have a knack for starting something and not following through. I made 4 bows and was so happy with myself. Julianna is wearing one in her little school picture today!!! One of these days I'm gonna learn how to use that dang sewing machine!!! :)

Brenna said...

I love that salt mix. I don't know if I should mention this for my own sake since I am trying out a no meat life style (I'm at 5 days already!) But I seasoned a 3.5 ounce fillet ( that I bought for 4 dollars since it was on sale from 19.99 lb to 9.99 a lb!) with that some cracked pepper and onion slat.... WOW it was amazing. I will probably have a dream about it tonight that will turn into a nightmare since I am off meat! The Casserole Kathy makes is my all time favorite! Maybe I will make a vegetarian version :)

Anna said...

Tell me about your cookbook holder! I notice it's strong enough to keep your monster book open, and I can't find one to do the job. What a random question, right? You are doing a great job with your new camera. Makes me very motivated for my garage sale next weekend! :)

Jennifer said...

Uh oh, some anonymous folk are gettin' feisty! :) Oh well, just think of it as a bit of humor for your day. :)

Love, love that little John Martin...what a face!

Becky said...

That poor doggie DOES need a bath! I have NEVER seen someone's hands look that bad after scratching a dog! They are always pretty smelly, though, in my opinion - even after a good bath!

MEGAN said...

YUM! I think I'll make this for Mother's Day!

Mommy Harris said...

Don't you wish mean people who post ugly comments would have the guts to post their names? Wonder what's on THEIR blogs we can judge?

Anyway....my dogs are always that dirty and they LOVE it!

Thanks for recipe....yummy city!

kristen said...

YUMMY! I haven't seen Jane's Krazy Salt since college! I had forgotten all about it!

julie said...

yum!! too bad i missed out on that breakfast!

Anonymous said...

I think some people who leave comments need to be reminded that if you do not have anything nice to say than to not say anything at all.

your blog is so sweet and great! I enjoy it so much!

beki said...

This looks so good! I'll have to try this when I get a new oven (SOON). Living without an oven is not fun at all!

Anonymous said...

I just read all of the dog comments... ha! Oh, people. Mind your own pet dander. I am sure your pet is perfectly happy (despite his lack of daily pets and baths), after all, he lives in a household with THREE little ones. From a dog's perspective, he is living the high life!!

Anonymous said...

I typically read your blog as it inspires me. Never have I left a comment, but now I feel I NEED TO.

About your dog...he/she is just that a DOG. They get dirty, that's what animals do. So what that you don't pet him. Not everyone in the house needs to. Do you know how many dogs are in shelters or are gassed each year just because they don't have a HOME?
Your dog looks well fed and I'm sure gets lots of attention from your lovely chidren! Obviously, he's a part of the crew as he made an appearance on your blog. =)

Don't let people's opinions bother you! ...But then again I need to take my own advice. =)

Keep up the good work, I so love your honesty!

Risala Furniture said...

This is really nice post works well and easy to configure...thanks for all info.
area rugs abu dhabi