Sunday, March 1, 2009

Southwest Chicken Soup & Homemade Tortilla Chips

Those of you who have been around for a while probably recognize my inclination towards recipes that are fairly quick and easy... but they also must taste good. I came across something similar to what I am going to share in a Real Simple from November 2004 and changed it up a little {because it called for kidney beans and they are my least favorite of all the beans}.

So, this is all you will need for the soup:

swchickensoupingredients


1 jar of salsa verde (I used the Pace that is pictured above)
1 rotisserie chicken
1 (15 oz) can of navy beans drained
(I used Bush's)
1 (large 49oz) can of chicken stock (I only used about 2/3 of the can)

garnish: shredded cheddar, sour cream & tortilla chips

Remove skin from chicken and shred meat with forks. Combine all ingredients into a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10-15 mins. I used the entire jar of salsa verde and it's "make-your-nose-sweat hot"... if medium salsa is too hot for you... just add 1/2 the jar of salsa.

Since that was so EASY...

Why don't you make your own tortilla chip strips to go on top?

While your soup is simmering, in a large frying pan add about 1/2 inch of oil {I used canola but peanut would be good too} and set to medium heat.

Here's what you'll need for your tortilla chips:

corntortillas1

CORN. CORN. I repeat CORN TORTILLAS... not flour. Unless you like flour tortilla chips-- I don't and they would be nasty and disintegrate in your soup. So be sure to buy CORN TORTILLAS.... remember these are not your "usual flour tortilla wraps" that you make tacos with, they are CORN. I bought white corn but you could buy yellow corn. They're either with the flour tortillas in the bread aisle or in the ethnic food aisle with ham bullion. :)

Cut them up like this:

corntortillas2

While you're at it, just for fun {and to impress your husband and kids} go ahead and cut some triangles to make some "real" homemade tortilla chips.

corntortillas4


Ok, back to the thin sticks. You'll want to cut them in half before you fry them so that your family members can get them onto their spoons and into their mouths. These haven't been cut in half yet.

corntortillas3

Fry them for about 4 mins. You'll know the oil is hot enough when you drop 1 in and it bubbles and floats to the top quickly. If it sinks and sits there... you're not hot enough yet. Once you are hot enough you can lower your temp to low/med.

corntortillas5

Throw them on some paper towels, cover them with paper towels and give them a good shake so you can get a lot of the grease off. Then douse them with salt.

corntortillas6

And then put them on top of your soup.

soupYUM

I promise they are so easy and so good! They'd also be good on a taco salad!

**************************

In the earlier post about all the insane things... the wooden blocks are Melissa & Doug.

In Friday's post about Cheerios... our floors are prefinished pecan in saddle stain from Howell Flooring. They are a local company owned by a family in our church but I believe they will sell and ship nationwide. There is a phone number on their contact page and I'm sure any of their sales reps can answer any questions you may have... and you can tell them I sent you! :)

Also, I'm using flickr to host all my pictures and to make a long story short I am no longer able to use "spell check" so please exkuse iny speling airs. I think I said we were "fever invested" last week and there have been a few others here and there. Erika and I have had some pretty good laughs about some of my mistakes! :)

Good night friends! Make some Southwest Chicken Soup before it gets hot out!

22 comments:

Hillary @ The Other Mama said...

I love those kind of soups (yummy and easy!) and have several recipes like that. I'll have to try yours, too!
And you need to stay out of that ethnic aisle there, Martha! Ha!
Really- love the corn tortillas. We also use fritos (I know, cheating), but they are also corn, of course. As any good chip aisle (vs. ethnic aisle) girl would know. I'll be over in the chip aisle if you need me.

duchess said...

That sounds yummy. If I could make it to the store in this snow, I might make some.
Have a great Monday.

erika said...

Yew are so domestick. That sup loked really yummie. If theirs any left I'll have sum dis wekend.
Sorry about the investation of croup and the farth snow.
Mommasis

Kellie said...

Sounds delicious - I'm going to try it this week! Also, have you ever put cinnamon sugar on those tortilla stips when they come out of the pan instead of salt? - FANTASTIC!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love this recipe and use it A LOT! It amazes me that it can be made in 15 minutes!!! It is especially great for babysitter night (one of my children has food allergies so we have to cook from home-even on Date Night). I, too, use white beans and I add fresh cilantro to the top....hat off to ya for doing the tortillas though. I do skip that part and use the store-bought variety :)
Love simple, homemade food-I am such a foodie!!!

KM said...

GREAT IDEA!!!!! Thank you for the recipe. I'll have everyone thinking I'm Emeril in no time! :) You have such great recipes - fast and simple. You also inspired me to give my blog more balance...www.diaryofasteelmagnolia.blogspot.com
Thanks for that Darby!!!
Kara

Shireen said...

And wasn't this the perfect soup weekend!!?? I'd rather just come enjoy it with your family! ;)

Anonymous said...

yummy! This looks so good and easy. Definitely going to give it a try!

Andrea said...

Hi there, I just recently found and started reading your blog - love it :) Instead of frying you can also brush the tortilla chips with olive oil and bake them until crispy. I make them that way and sprinkle them with chili powder and lime juice before baking.

Lindsey said...

sounds good! will definitely have to try it. we used to make homemade chips and salsa when we lived in Kazakhstan but i've never tried the thin strips. thanks for the idea. hope the garage sell goes well this weekend. i have some stuff in a consignment sale this weekend so i'm hoping to make a few dollars too!

Christi said...

my family has been making tortilla chips since before i was born they are so yummy and so easy!!!!

erika said...

Do you leave the bones in the rotisserie chicken?

HA!

:)

Allyson said...

I went to the grocery store and I'm going to make this tonight. Thanks for the recipe!!

andi said...

I like to use a silpat cookie sheet for the tortillas, drizzle olive oil on top and bake at a high temp. until browned. Looks yummy!

Allyson said...

It was delicious! A major hit! I didn't make the tortilla chips. I will next time. I have a friend coming over today at lunch and I'm going to make it again :). Thanks!!

Rita said...

thanks for sharing the easy recipe - can't wait to try it. I don't know if I'll make the chips or not, it probably depends on what kind of mood I'm in that day:)

Kristen said...

I'm with Allyson! It was delicious and my "meat and potatoes" husband liked it too. I made the chips and strips and they too were a hit. My 9 yr.old took them to school today to tell her teacher that I made them "homemade". Thanks for the easy recipe!

Kaysha Patel said...

I am going to attempt to make your Queso dip and homemade tortilla chips this weekend...wish me luck! Everything I do in the kitchen turns out to be a disaster!!

Becky Brodbeck said...

I made the soup last night...thanks for the recipe. It was delicious especially with all the toppings:-) Hope you have a great yardsale this weekend! Love ya! Please tell your mom and E I said hi!!

No.35style said...

i'll have to try this..sounds too easy not to.

Jessica said...

I finally made this recipe last night after bookmarking it- and it was delish! Definitely a keeper. You also inspired me to make tortilla chips and WOW, the best ever! So thank you!

Stacy said...

I just made this...yummy! It was a bit hit with my hubby too!