Friday, January 23, 2009

Day 23:: Makin' Whoopies

I knew that'd get your attention!

whoopies6

Whoopie pies, oh my! My helpers... wait a second, can you call a 2-year old and 4-year old "helpers"... probably not, they're more like my "taste testers". So, my "taste-testers" and I have been in the kitchen all morning... makin' whoopie pies! We've had an absolutely delightful time but I'm now exhausted. Here are pictures of our adventure...

whoopies1



whoopies3



whoopies4



whoopies5



whoopies7

How hilarious is the Raiger? Demanding in both pictures that she get not one but "two of 'em". Never a dull moment around here.

To make your own adventure:

  • 1 box Devil's Food Cake mix
    follow instructions on back of box ** except ** add only 3/4 C of water and ADD 1 small pkg of instant chocolate pudding
  • Drop by small spoonfuls onto parchment paper lined baking sheets.
  • Bake at 350 for 8-10 mins... to over cook is better than to under cook. Trust me! Mine took closer to 1o mins and then I let them cool on the hot baking sheets. If you take them off too early they are gooey gobs of mess!
  • Let cool completely on parchment paper.
  • Load 'em up with buttercream frosting and for fun you can sprinkle some powdered sugar on top!

I know true Whoopie Pies don't have buttercream frosting but I attempted 7-minute frosting {the marshmallow-y kind} and well it was a total disaster... I'm blaming it on the humidity. You could fill yours with Marshmallow Fluff... but I didn't have any on hand and that stuff is hard to spread.


******************************************

Those stars indicate a sudject change... at least on my blog they do!

newplates


Do you feel like the older you get the better you know yourself and recognize your little quirks? I really do not like to shop. Gasp! It's true. Fortunately, my sister is not only design savvy but also fashion savvy and happens to pass down most of her clothes {that she likes to shop for} to me. You will more than likely never, ever, ever see me at the mall {unless I'm doing a return or exchange} but on any given day you can find me at any SUPPLY STORE. I have a SUPPLY STORE weakness...
art & craft supplies
restaurant supplies
office supplies
teacher supplies
Seriously. My most recent favorites being the teacher supply store and restaurant supply store. During the 15 minutes I was in the teacher supply store last week I almost decided I needed to homeschool my children... it was that influential! Next, the restaurant supply store... remember those mugs? Well, yesterday I went back for some more and absolutely was held hostage by these jadite green cafeteria plates! I got 6 divided plates and 6 little bowls {I can only imagine that they would be sitting in any cafeteria line holding jello cubes or banana pudding!}. They unfortunately weren't as cheap as the mugs but I love them because they have nothing on them. Why on earth does our culture think that children's plates and utensils must have Disney princesses on them? I have a bone to pick with those folks. The bike is bad enough... but we will not eat over Ariel's face any longer.

Happy Friday, friends!

22 comments:

becky said...

those bad boys sca-ream highlands elementary circa 1988. only yours are cuter. and i agree about the character business. i mean b/c once you buy one character, they don't like that one anymore. and i'll just say it loud. hannah montana better be forgotten by the time AC gets there. shoo...
and those whoopies would be gone in T minus 5 at my house!

No Longer Newlyweds. said...

WHERE is this restaurant supply store? I want to go!!! I'm sure they MUST have one out here in Vegas, but I thought only restaurant owners could go.

I'm making whoopie....um, whoopie pies this weekend!!! Thanks for the recipe!!!

Ashley Turnbull said...

Darby, my favorite part of this blog is all that you expose us to that we might never had known about. Seriously. For me, a boring engineer, these posts are priceless. And, as I look to stay at home too, I am going to need some way to fill the hours...at least at first, right?

PS> Old Time Pottery often has the "restaurant" style stuff like you're showing. I have seen those mugs, etc. there in the past.

PSS> I feel ya on homeschooling :) Hmm...will we or won't we???

Abby Maddox said...

Great post Darby! I didn't even know we had all of those supply store in Dothan. Surely if they have them in Dothan they have them in Bham too??? I'll have to google it

Anonymous said...

I thought Paige was throwing up the peace sign;) She's so hilarious!! Those whoopie pies look delicious!!

Lindsey said...

Looks yummy! Love the hearts on them too.

Dianne said...

The best part of the divided plates is no food item touches another. That's important when you're young!!!!

Anonymous said...

PLEASE....tell us how you made the cute little hearts on the whoopie pies :-) THanks, you are the GREATEST!

Jennifer said...

I'm with you on supply stores...teacher's supply (obviously!) being my favorite. I don't know what happens to me when I go in there, but I kind of get goose bumpy and feel the need to decorate a wall in my home like a classroom bulletin board. Don't worry, I haven't gone that far....yet.

The whoopie pies are one of my favorites - of course anything with buttercream ranks high with me! Glad you had fun with your "helpers" and LOVE the plates and bowls.

Jill said...

I can't wait to make the whoopie pies! They look awesome! I think I will make them with a number 2 on them for Kent's school b-day party. I love all of your posts! P.S. We are also making the cocoa packets with marshmallows too! Thanks Darby!

Anonymous said...

If you are seriously thinking about homeschooling... I highly recommend it!

Thank you for the recipe! I can't wait to try it. Yummy!

I love restaurant supply stores, too. The one in Birmingham that I go to is called BRESCO. I cannot go there very often, because I want to buy everything!

I have not seen plates like that there, though. Maybe there is a better store in town?

Any clues as to what your sister's garage door windows are made of? I really would LOVE a Starbucks gift card! ;)

~Wendy

Anonymous said...

You are just the best mom!!! What a blessing your are to your children.

I think I just found our Valentine treat.....Whoopie Pies! Yum!!! Thanks for shaing....

TMB said...

just made some whoopie pies--they are awesome! nathan was skeptical, but we all loved them!!

i am going to do them for neighbors for v-day...ours turned out enormous, so i will have to do smaller dallops of batter!

i made homemade icing [just milk, vanilla, butter, and powdered sugar] and they are such a treat!

thanks for the fun idea!

Unknown said...

Delicious Darby!

I think my eldest and I will spend a nice evening making those closer to Valentine's (or maybe as a special treat).

Thanks for a great recipie and for your email!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessica said...

mmmm....we call these gobs (from growing up in Pennsylvania). Now I want to try making some - however, you have to make your own filling (maybe a little more work than buttercream frosting, but definitely worth it)! I asked my mom to email me the recipe so I can make them and I'll post it here as soon as I get it.

Jessica said...

so here's my grandma's recipe for her gob's filling:

3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1/3 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup Crisco
1 tsp. vanilla

Boil together the flour, milk, and sugar, stirring until thickened.
Remove from heat and cool. When completely cool, cream together the butter, Crisco, vanilla, and salt, and then add the flour mixture.
Beat with electric mixer until light and fluffy.

I like your recipe for the gobs though - hers is all from scratch, so yours sounds a little easier :) love the hearts too... I need to do some baking!

Katie said...

I know that the Disney folks do that so that you can spend more money - but I agree with you...it's gone too far. I remember we used to eat on white dishes that had different fruits on the bottom. We would guess what fruit was pictured underneath our cereal...that was fun...and the dishes are still adorable.

No Longer Newlyweds. said...

Oh....I read that wrong. Oh well, my husband still ate a few soggy ones. Better luck next week!

Jennie said...

how did you get the powdered sugar in hearts? SO CUTE!

Anonymous said...

a cooked icing is surprisingly easy and oh so yummy I tried the recipe for the red velvet cup cakes from the sullivan street bakery and well yes it is not cream cheese but a fluffy white sweet icing

Risala Furniture said...

Thank you for sharing such important information. It will be very useful for us in future. Good keep it up and keep writing. Read more about
leopard rug abu dhabi