Friday, June 26, 2009

Garden Recipe: Lemon Dill Salmon & Butternut Squash

Happy Friday, folks!

Since the last "foil pouch" recipe was such a success here's another one for you! This is one that will use your dill & butternut squash. Butternuts are considered "winter squash", my only guess is because they have a SUPER long shelf life, not because they grow in the winter. They're a delicious and nutritious squash and we eat a lot of them!

We'll do the squash first.

Preheat the oven to 350 and fill a baking pan with 1/2" of water. Cut the butternuts in half, remove seeds (we dry ours in paper towels for a few days, store them in ziplocs and then plant them next year}, and place FACE down in the water.

IMG_7610


IMG_7613

IMG_7617

IMG_7620

Put them in the oven. Set your timer for 45-50 minutes.

Then get the marinade ready for your salmon. Here's what you'll need:

IMG_7628

1 part lemon juice
2 parts olive oil
1/2 tsp garlic {or more if you'd like}
a few grinds from the peppermill

Add to the blender or mini food processor and blend.

Place your salmon filet on a square of aluminum foil and generously season with Jane's Krazy Salt {I think they may need to start paying me!}.

IMG_7631

Brush on your marinade.

IMG_7632

And top with fresh dill.

IMG_7634

Wrap your foil around your salmon filets to make a happy little pouch and put it in the fridge.

Light the grill and let it heat to 350.

IMG_7668

Turn burners down to low and place your salmon pouch on the grill.


IMG_7675

Close the lid and let it grill for 5-6 minutes.

Take a break and play {but just for a few minutes}.

IMG_7693

Then come back to the grill and flip your little pouch over for 5 or 6 more minutes.

Check on your squash and if they're done they'll be fork tender and look like this :

IMG_7659

Then get out some of this:

IMG_7662

And fill them with it.

IMG_7665

Turn the oven off and put them back in to keep warm.

By now your salmon is likely done. Bring your pouch inside and open it. I think you'll be amazed at how good it smells!

IMG_7703

I like to serve the salmon and butternut with Mahatma Long Grain & Wild Rice.

IMG_7709

Happy weekend!

20 comments:

Tara said...

Yum! I love seafood on the grill and I'm a big sqaush fan. I'll have to try this one for sure.

Thanks for the great recipes! Have a wonderful weekend. :)

Tutti @ Tribal Talk said...

That looks delicious!

cacfus said...

Yum! I am definitely going to try this.

~Grace Happens~ said...

wow. this is superb! thanks so much. can't wait to try it.

Susan said...

sounds yummy!! can't wait to try it!

pixelimpress said...

wow, that looks scrumptiuos! healthy too. thanks for sharing. pam

Jennifer Werneth said...

yum! i'll have to try this too! i made some chicken in a foil packet and it turned out great. i didn't have squash, but used some eggplant i had and some cherry tomatoes and vidalia onion (it's what was in my fridge and i didn't want to go to the store:). it was super yummy and clean-up was awesome too. thanks for the great ideas!

Confessions said...

oh, yum. i'm drooling and we already had dinner. if i lived around dothan, i'd be popping in for supper at your house ALL THE TIME! :)

Danielle said...

Looks so yummy...I knew that we just had to be kindred spirits...that is the only rice I serve. LOVE IT! :)

jeana said...

yum, yum, yum... can't wait to try this!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Oh my goodness! That dinner looks fab! Thanks for the tip on drying the seeds--I have a butternut squash in my fridge right now and bare garden, save for some thyme and 3 tomato plants. ;)

Abby Warren said...

Can't wait to try it! Keep the yummy recipes coming. We loved the chicken. Do you actually grown the vegetables, if so, you are superwoman! Geez, is there anything you don't do?
Thanks=)

Heather said...

yummy! crazy jane salt has been my friend for a long, long time :)

i can't wait to try the salmon.

LOVE the squash - it took my breath away at first (the picture) b/c it kinda looked a little phalic....sorry, i just had to tell you of my laugh :)

have a great one!
Heather

Mommy Harris said...

Mmm this is so yummy!Ques though, can this be done with chicken? I'm sad to say I'm not a fish lover...

Amanda Utley said...

Darby, where do you find Jane's Krazy Salt? I didn't see it at Walmart this weekend, but haven't looked anywhere else yet. Thanks! Can't wait to try this!!

paula said...

salmon is such a family favorite although my daughter insists it's chicken.

Leslie said...

Can that fish go in the oven? We city dwellers have laws against grilling in dense spaces lest I light the city of San Francisco on fire.

Is there an online source for krazy salt? I need answers!

Dad said...

I bought all the ingredients at the grocery last night. :) I'm so excited to try this. And by the way, Jane's Krazy salt seriously should be paying you!

Dad said...

Darby! i didn't know i was posting from ryan's account on here! oops... ha! when i saw "dad" i was so confused! sorry. anway, I, Jeana, bought the ingredients last night. :)

Amanda Wells said...

Made the salmon last night - it was delicious!