Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Marathon, Sunsets, iPod, & Earphones

As the title indicates, this post will be all over the place.

As I mentioned before, DaddyBoy works in Chicago. It's kinda close to the farm but not really at all. He made his way down this weekend. And we were all glad to see him.

DBandJM2

Especially Mr. Mouse.

DBandJM

And wait 'til Mr. Mouse is big enough to play on the tractor, Gator, & 4-wheeler... we may never get him away from here.

DaddyBoy is a wonderful dad and has always been cool. He has this uncanny ability to mesh with folks from all walks of life. He shops at Rural King and he shops at Nordstrom.

He also owns an old Marathon gas station in Mt. Carmel that is being torn down tomorrow. Yesterday he asked me to help him clean it out. With the promise of a soft taco from Taco Tierra I agreed.

We didn't leave early enough because I didn't get my soft taco until 10 pm, by then I wasn't really sure I wanted a soft taco but he insisted. Had we gone any earlier, we certainly wouldn't have seen the sun setting like we did.

DBcornfield2

He was pretty good about me pulling out my camera while he was driving. I think I'm totally over caring what people think about me sporting a camera around my neck.

DBcornfield

He'll probably call and say, "Will you please take those pictures off your blog?" And I will say, "No."

Ok, where was I? The sun... it was setting... and it was real nice, Clark.

farmsunset

But DaddyBoy's not near as patient as Mom. He'd slow down but stopping was completely out of the question. So I had to snap with my head out a moving window. He did, however, help me look for some dairy goats that I wanted to take the children to see. They must have dried up because we couldn't find them.

We made our way to the Marathon and there really wasn't much to take pictures of, especially since I didn't take any pictures until we were done loading the trailer.

MarathonDB

Except there was this water fountain. I thought about rescuing it from the bulldozers but it's 4 feet tall and my kids are only 3 feet tall and it had a little bit of bird poop all over it. But it sure would be fun in the playroom... I guess I have until tomorrow morning to make up my mind. If it meant my children would only drink water and I'd never have to buy another sippy cup I'd go get it tonight.

Marathonwaterfountain

There have been a few misunderstandings about the "Marathon". Mom told someone last week that she had just finished up at the Marathon and when she met them they looked her up and down and said, "Wow! How in the world did you just finish a marathon? You don't even look like you've been running!"

Anyway, we had to make the trip from farm to town more than once. Good thing DaddyBoy has an iPod. I tend to be technologically challenged and this blog is about the only thing "technical" that I do. I don't text on my phone nor do I own an an iPod. But with a little playing around I figured out how to use dad's. His music selections are so "him". First of all, I had to ask him if he uploaded his songs in 1991. But then I acknowledged at least he has an iPod and knows how to upload songs... he's definitely got me beat so I could only give him so much grief.

DaddysIpod1

We played some Red Hot Chili Peppers, Belinda Carlisle, Mary Chapin Carpenter and 10,000 Maniacs and then I started to test him. We played "name that tune". He did really well on some, not so well on others. It took him 26 seconds to name Jewel: You Were Meant for Me and I think by then she was on the chorus.

DaddysIpod2

The girls were waiting for us on the porch when we got home from trip 1.

girls&BBwaiting

And Bird Brown {the chocolate lab mix} was waiting too.

We couldn't resist getting out for a break. Paige couldn't wait to show DaddyBoy her "pwetty shoes". {Morgan still sporting a "super hero cape".}

porch

And then we headed back to town again and I only got one more shot before the sun completely set.

anothersunset

And last but not least, Mom and I are gearing up for the ride back to Alabama this week. My dad has some great ear plugs that I think will suit me fine for our ride home. If I had only borrowed them for our drive up.

JMearplugs

Hope you all had wonderful weekends!

29 comments:

thebarronfam said...

You should get that water fountain! My parents have one, and they put it outside near their swimming pool. It is wonderful!!!

alison giese Interiors said...

I want to post a better comment, but my kiddo is screaming (fighting bedtime) - Just wanna say I've loved being with ya'll on this trip - your posts have been amazing - the pictures, Oh! The pictures!

Becca said...

You could SO make that water fountain work in your home. Go for it Darby!

erika said...

so jealous, really wish i was there with you all. i wish i was in high school and had the summer off. chance and i bought dad that ipod- he didn't even OPEN it for a year. Don't give him too much credit, we had to give him a crash course in iTunes and how it works. I love dad's music. I need to make a DaddyBoy mix. Enjoy your last few days... pretend like I'm there and I'll pretend like I'm not bogged down with work and 8 months pregnant.
Tell Morgie I love her super hero capes and Raiger that I love her shoes. Pack those earphones - FOR REAL.
LOVE YOU,
Mommasis

Lauren said...

I love love love the pics of your father! I dont even know him (or you for that matter -hehehe!) but he looks so distinguished in them!

I am also glad to know there are others out there who cannot bear to go anywhere without their cameras in tow!

How can you bear to leave the glorious farm and wonderful small town!? We will be praying for yall and the drive back!

Dianne said...

I am so glad your mother is driving back home with you. I bet JM behaves beautifully with her in the car. I have loved this trip. Thanks for sharing so much of it.

Kasey said...

What a beautiful picture of the farm and sunset!!

KM said...

Those are such beautiful moments you had with your Dad, Darby. CHERISH THEM! Beautiful, beautiful post. Made me cry.

elizabeth said...

Don't feel bad...We can't figure out how to work our iPod properly either, and it is a hand me down from my father-in-law! We drove through Dothan on our way back to Athens from the beach this weekend and stopped at Dobb's BBQ...mmm good!

erin from austin said...

a friend of mine grew up with a water fountain in her home, and it's now the home she lives in with 3 kids. they love the water fountain, and she said it's great b/c the kids just go get a sip when they are thirsty.

Melissa said...

What gorgeous sunset photos! We need to get together and compare notes and play around with our cameras! Have soooo enjoyed your posts from this trip!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

The first comment beat me to it, but I was going to suggest that water fountain for outside. Don't you all have a pool? The sunset photo was amazing!!!

Whimsy World said...

I Love your picture of the sunset with the barn it was beautiful!

Elaine said...

That would be awesome to have a water fountain, what a great idea! Love the pictures and the farm, they look like a dream.

Amanda said...

another great post! where did justin go? safe travels for you and your mom this week, is she staying awhile?!@

morethanthestarsinthesky said...

Those ear phones are cracking me up! I remember the post about your trip up with "hornet" hehe!

Love the beautiful pics. Love your parents house....so charming!


Amanda in Alabama

CountryCouture said...

Darby, I thought about your blog tonight when I saw the photos of your Dad. If you have half of the anxiety I do, then I'm sure you've worried that one day blogger could crash and lose everything! I just found out about blurb.com. It will import your blog and print it into a bound book! You can also select certain blogs to use--for instance, you could make a book for the kids with blogs about your parents. Here's an example:
http://tigejuliehazleton.blogspot.com/2009/02/print-your-blog-into-book.html
I'm thinking about doing it once I have more "meat" to my blog!

erin said...

how funny, diego is totally into the whole fake cape thing right now! it often consists of a beach towel with a laundry peg holding it shut in front. maybe the two of them had a superhero talk in seaside when we were not looking and decided to proceed with this method?!

Mommy Harris said...

Ha the ear phones are cracking me up! Sometimes I feel that way too! Lovely sunset pics and what a fun trip. God Bless on your ride home! ;-)

Holly said...

I wish I would have had a water fountain in my house growing up. I say go get it!

stewart and james said...

i'm really into the water fountain idea - i hope you took it!! really thinking about how to get one at my house..going to look into it! thanks for sharing pics and stories of you trip! it's been fun to read about :)

kristen

Candice said...

I know this is not really the most conventional advice, but here goes. My son used to cry all the time in the car, like screaming crying, so my niece put the ipod on his hears and played whatever she thought he would like at a low volume, and you know what it worked. He was happy, quiet and it even put him to sleep, so I stared dowloading some kids songs and he was in heaven, now I just put it on the radio instead of in his ears, but it was a good trick. Thanks for sharing with us.

Amanda Thrasher said...

Make the water fountain work out by your pool. Your husband is industrious. He can figure it out. I want one in my backyard so kids don't have to trample in every time they're thirsty. If it's too tall just put a stool in front of it.

Shireen said...

So, what do you think about us moving closer to Dothan? :)

P.S. I loved the farmsunset pic so much that it is the new background/wallpaper of my laptop. :) I've enjoyed all of your updates so much.

P.P.S. I read "Same Kind of Different As Me" last week. Wow. Loved it, and I'm looking forward to my next good book like that! I'm interested in knowing the name of the second book you had at the lake, if you have a chance to email me anytime. It's about women.

Love you, friend.

Elizabeth said...

I have really enjoyed reading about your time on the farm. And hey, at least your dad listens to somewhat current music. If a cowboy in 1895 didn't sing it, then my dad doesn't listen to it!

The 5 Bickies said...

Your trip, and family, are fascinating to follow. You take such gorgeous photos and then so beutifully summarize your days/events. I feel like I've had a wonderful vacation at the farm too!

Thanks so much for sharing it with us!

Krista said...

The farm and town where your family lives is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing the pictures. I was laughing as I read about the ipod - I thought my husband and I were the only people in America without one, so glad to know that someone else out there doesn't have one either.

Risala Furniture said...

Stunning, Fantastic its looks so astounding. Much obliged to you for sharing this article and keep doing awesome. made to order customized made to measure rugs in abu dhabi

Dominick said...

If you are having a problem with your hearing then I would like to suggest you for visiting the best and professional audiologists who can give you the best treatment for your hearing loss. Now you have to do one thing that is how we hear sound you have to learn this at first then you’ll understand the value of hearing.