Sunday, December 28, 2008

Top 3 Christmas Lessons

I am loving all the pictures and videos of your precious children on Christmas morning! My reader was exploding for several days... and I've now managed to work my way through.

Christmas was wonderful at our household. We have so much to be thankful for. Our children are healthy and happy and we woke up to a warm house {& warm weather} and more food then we could possibly eat.

However, I will make note of a few observations::

#1- No one acknowledged my plea for no toys... {with the exception of my sister who came through with some awesome books!} The aftermath:

toy disaster

#2- Adults enjoy & appreciate homemade gifts MUCH MORE than children do. Unfortunately, my kids would have been more excited about overpriced Disney crap toys. Thank goodness we did have one over decorated, pink & purple, Disney princess bike and one overpriced pink and purple worm riding toy hiding in the closet that we brought out at the very end.

handmade gifts

#3- Next year I may save my time, energy and money and just buy PEZ & Twizzlers.

pez


twizzlers

twizzlers 2

They were the biggest hit. U N T I L .... I told her that she had to eat her breakfast first...

mini-meltdown

Which resulted in the first of several "candy meltdowns"... maybe I should reconsider #3. The people at Old Navy must have had her in mind when they made those jammies:: she is one tough cookie {especially when it comes to CANDY!}. I can't blame her too much... you know what they say, "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!" She's also sweet as candy and I could gobble her up in one bite!

The young man was on his best behavior... we're anxious to get him in on the action next year.

jm sofa

We really, really, really missed celebrating with Mom & DaddyBoy this year {and the rest of momma's family}. However, we are grateful for the good times we shared with Justin's side of the family and MommaSis' & Uncle C. We laughed really hard together... and that's always so good for the soul! :)

17 comments:

Household6 said...

One day they will appreciate everything you do/make! One day...Let me know if it happens any time soon ;0)

Thanks for letting me intrude on your family time for my crisis question!

Heather

Shireen said...

I love the recap, Darby! :) Paige is too cute!

I agree with Heather...one day, the girls will appreciate all that you've made them. For now, it's candy and bright colors that strike their fancy. Nothin' wrong with that. I remember appreciating my book of lifesaver candies, flavored chapsticks and little pink purse at their ages. :)

Well, Merry Christmas to you guys!

Love you!

Katie said...

Merry Christmas girl! It sounds like you guys had an amazing (and warm) time :) Oh and I have been telling my mom about your homemade gifts - we both can't get over how you manage to do it.

P.S. JM looks like a baby model.

Dianne said...

What beautiful children!! I could just jump in my computer and bite jOHN mARTIN. lol Glad your Christmas was lovely, ours was too. So much to be thankful for. Here's to a happy and healthy 2009!
BTW, we mixed our different faiths beautifully. Thanks for your encouraging words!!!

Lindsey said...

It does seem that kids always like candy and/or the cheapest toys the best. A couple of years ago, candy was the only thing my niece requested for Christmas. And I think she would have been perfectly happy if that's all she had gotten. And this year my nephew who is 2 1/2 requested candy, specifically candy canes (which he calls cany cans!). He also would have been perfectly happy with just candy.
They both got a ton of toys as well. But I tried to be the good aunt too and only bought books! Actually, I bought books for a lot of people on our list this year.

erika said...

it was a blast. love all those munchkins!

becky said...

what is it about the little middle muffins that just screams drama? my seth used to be a breath holder. i mean, all out "smurf fit". now he breathes, but has changed to throwing himself in the floor instead of passing out in the floor. and i'm certain we have all become diabetics in the last week with all the candy and goodies we have eaten. so glad your precious little family had such a wonderful holiday!

Jennifer said...

You are sooo right...the pinker and sparklier the plastic always equal the biggest hits. As far as sugar...my kids tried to eat their whole stockings by 9am! And to make it even better my mother-in-law gave the kids a giant gumball machine that we've already had to hide! Ben keeps walking around with full cheeks and tries to pretend as if nothing is in his mouth, and I keep finding gumball (they're the big kind of gumballs) stashes behind the couches and chairs!

Thanks for the fun recap of your Christmas. I hope you've truly enjoyed this holiday time with your adorable girls and chunk of love baby boy...and your husband, of course!

Ashley Turnbull said...

You were right...MORE toys! Ah! Oh, well, keeps the kids having fun, right? WE appreciate your hand-made gifts =).

Merry Christmas (and glad you like the new blog look...we should all venture out of reader every now and then, right?)

Ashley said...

Those sure are some precious doll faces!! Can't beat some good candy on Christmas! Sawyer's favorite thing was probably the Elmo houseshoes from Wal-Mart. I think 2009 is definitely the year for us to get ourselves together, d-bone!!! LOVE YOU!

Mandy said...

Those children are precious and I love your handmade gifts! They will like those too in weeks to come! The candy and crap toys, which overtook our home as well, are the "shiners", as my family calls them and they always get the most attention at first! Happy New Year! Mandy

Hillary @ The Other Mama said...

Oh my goodness! John Martin looks so big sitting up and with hair that can be parted! Adorable!!
Um, and yes, I could have gotten some chocolate and made in China cars and we would have been fine around here...

alston said...

we definitely know a thing or 2 or 3 about candy meltdowns...they've been happening a lot the past three days!

andi said...

Love the pictures. Looks like a wonderful Christmas! :) Miss you and look forward to catching up soon. Does that ever really happen as a mommy?

Kendra White said...

i am saying amen to the pez despenser... we just happened to get him one at the chick fil a... best 1.49 i have every spent!

Laura said...

I love the crayon holder. Did you have a pattern for that or come up with it from scratch. Any instructions on how to make one would be appreciated.

Risala Furniture said...

Great article this is very informative .......keep posting Thanks Regards
rugs in abu dhabi