Thursday, April 17, 2008

Do Fence Me In!

I've been a nervous wreck since November when we moved into this house with 2 small children {that can't swim} and a pool without a fence around it. Do you know how many nightmares I've had? How many times my heart has nearly beat out of my chest when I can't get one of the girls to respond to me when I call for them? Lots. I tell you, lots. Anyway, despite a hefty price tag {because although I'm cheap... I'm not cheap enough for chain link} I have convinced myself that an expensive fence around the pool pales in comparison to losing a child {of which I'll have 3 (3 years old & under) in 3 months that CANNOT swim}. Today was the day the fence guys finally showed after 3 (boy this blog is full of 3's) weeks of telling me they are coming. Thankfully, after a massive renovation I'm used to these type people who have the nerve to say they'll be here tomorrow and never show or call. Anyway, they showed today and the fence is in. No gates yet, but the fence is in. I'd say it's sorta bittersweet. I'm reminding myself of what a relief it will be to allow the girls in the back yard to play with out being "helicopter mom" hovering over to make sure they don't step near the pool... and at the same time I'm sad to see my yard be cut in 1/2 before my eyes. I'm sure it will just take a little getting used to! The most important thing {preach it to yourself, Darby} is that my girls will be safe and no one will be able to get to the pool! Woo hoo! I know the grandparents, loved ones, and my friend Anne (who makes me look carefree & probably wouldn't move in the house without a fence) will all be quite relieved too.

Here are some pictures before & after:







Moving right along to my next struggle of the day... being too good for a "retreat"! I really know I'm not too good for the Laguna Beach Retreat Center... but my flesh is fighting a big battle today as I mentally prepare to take my large pregnant self & 2 small children to PCB (aka: Panama City Beach) for a retreat over the weekend with our Sunday school class. I did fail to mention that my husband will be there too... and for that I am grateful. I've been warned to bring my own food, only after I signed up to pay for ALL the meals! And I've been warned to bring some flip flops and not to take them off until I get in the bed (of which I've been warned to bring my own bedding and pillow)... GREAT... I can't wait! :) Despite not being thrilled about the accommodations I've been praying for a wonderful weekend of fellowship with other families and new friendships to blossom! I'll be sure to snap lots of pictures and report back when we return. The most comforting thing about the trip is that Erika's house is a short drive away and I told Justin if I went missing he "might" could find me there!

11 comments:

The Nebrigs said...

sleep easy the fence looks great!! i know how you feel. i just found out the house we are staying in at the beach has a pool, and i have already looked into the whole wrist band safty thing, but i think he will be wearing a type II life jacket at all times!! Finn doesn't really slow down for anything. say a prayer for us:)

Beth Goff said...

Love the fence!! It is nice!! I know you will enjoy the peace of mind.
About the retreat center... Don't take your flip flops off for sure. I have not been there since high school but I imagine they have not renovated! :) Have fun!

Ashley said...

The fence looks good to me! Glad it's up for your little family! Have fun on your retreat! Sounds like it will be an adventure!

Jessica said...

you'll feel so much better having the fence there (I would!!) so that makes it worth it - and it looks good too. I haven't been to Laguna Beach in about 7 years (??), but I doubt it's changed either... so like they said, take some flip flops, your own bedding and some extra food/snacks in case their culinary skills are not up to par (as I remember it)... but I'm sure the beach and fellowship will all make up for it! have fun :)

Wanting What I Have said...

Ok, the fence is GREAT! It's pretty good looking. I'm so happy you have it.

Now about Laguna, it's really NOT that bad. A few years ago they served incredible grilled chicken for lunch - they marinated it and were out there on a huge grill flippin' chicken. It's just not that bad. Yea, bring your own pillows and bedding (we always just bring sleeping bags and throw them on top of the bed), it's sort of gross, but it's fun. You'll have fun, pregnant and all. Just remind yourself you're all buildng up your immune systems. :)

TMB said...

the fence looks great, and i know it will bring great relief!!

...now i am thinking i stayed at the laguna beach resort. i think i went there with campus crusade, from auburn. if it's turquoise, then that must be it [then again there may be lots of turquoise buildings in PC] anyway, the biggest memory i have is a BIG beetly bug in my skirt! but i'm sure he's not there anymore!! ...and it may be a different place altogether! hopefully it will be a great weekend of friendship and fellowship!

Shireen said...

Have fun, Darby. I'll be praying for your time at the beach to be fulfilling in every way...even if you do find your way to Erika's! :) I probably would, too, honestly. Good ole comforts.
Love you, girl,
Shireen
Oh, and I love your heart regarding getting that fence put in! God has blessed you and Justin with these beautiful and wonderful children, and I'm proud of you for being so cautious! The fence looks very nice.

Ashley Turnbull said...

You've gotten some great advice so far, but I'll just second what these girls said: God must have great purpose to send you to this retreat amongst all the other busyness in you life. Those are usually the times when He blesses us the most - and for us extroverts, you have to be excited about being with all those people! Ha!
Recall Heb 10:25:
Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching! (Exclamation point mine =) Have fun!

The LaBouffs said...

I'm with you on the fence thing! I also have 2 young kids (the oldest just turned 2 in Feb) and I'm expecting our 3rd child in Sept! My heart pounds out of my chest when my kids decide to hide in the bathroom and I can't find them!

I've found that usually it is the trips that I most dread, are the ones that I usually am the most blessed by! Hope you have a great time! What's more fun than a trip to the beach, anyway?

simply seleta said...

The fence is great. Sometimes it's a good thing to hold out for what you want, plus it's a great investment for your property. My husband wanted a house once which came with a pool but I was too freaked out [4 kids ages 6 and under at the time] so I applaud your courage and FAITH. :-)

And how brave are you dragging your pregnant self to the beach with two tots in tow? You must have boundless energy! I'll definitely say a prayer for a safe trip and meaningful fellowship. Thank goodness your hubby is joining.

Jennifer said...

the fence looks good!

and my church youth group used to go to Laguna Beach for retreats when I was in high school ... the only thing I really remember are bunk beds and walking to the nearest gas station during breaks to get Dr. Pepper and candy :) it's the beach, so it can't be that bad, right?