Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Still going solo...

Well, here it is Wednesday night and still no children. "Mom" is making up for lost time and who could blame her! Justin and I have thoroughly enjoyed our time alone. We had supper at church tonight; he taught the freshman and sophomore guys and I went to chapel and heard a fabulous lesson on worship and preparing our hearts and minds for worship. Afterwards we decided to go to Barnes & Noble and share a grande latte and "browse". We left our money in the car (besides the $5 for the latte) so we wouldn't be tempted, it didn't work and Justin had to run to the car to get the wallet for the 2 books we HAD to have! :) I just started a great book today and now I'm anxious to finish it so I can start the next! My friend Susie is letting me borrow one she just finished, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan. Which so far is fascinating, moving and a page turner nonetheless! It's about a girl in 19-century, rural China, who is going through the tradition of having her feet binded in order to make them small and petite, which would make her a more desirable bride. Interesting, very interesting... and something I know (or knew) very little about. Next on my list: The Shack, by William P. Young. This is a book that came highly recommended a few weeks ago when I got railed for my review of the Karen Kingsbury series (which by the way, I got 1/2 way through book 2 and decided I needed a break for a while, it was better than the first but not good enough for me to keep reading). Anyway, The Shack, sounds wonderful and the front cover quote says, "This book has the potential to do for our generation what John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress did for his. It's that good!" Maybe I need to read Pilgrim's Progress first, Justin tells me it's in our personal library. Anyway, it's 9:00 and we're getting geared up and geeked out for a night in bed with our books!

ps- What is up with "spell check" anyone else notice it's not working?

pss (or is it pps)- I think my husband may join me on the blog soon. My friend Ashley & her husband, Adam, share a blog and it's really fun to read.... stay tuned!

9 comments:

kt said...

i totally loved SNOW FLOWER... hope you enjoy it as much as i did. but i hadn't heard of THE SHACK. i'll have to give it a go...maybe i'll even suggest it to my book club. let me know how you like it! :) MISS YOU!

The Nebrigs said...

Dan mailed Michael "The Shack" and told him he had to read it. Michael started it, and says it is really great!! Spell check? What the heck? Mine too.

Ashley Turnbull said...

You are too funny! Thanks for the shout-out! It was actually ME who started our blog, too, but Adam just could not let me go it alone. Justin should definitely get involved - love to hear what he has to say, even if it's sparatic! And, so fun that you guys are having some time out - aren't you just tempted to buy everything in B&N? That store just makes reading "look" so much more fun!

lindsay said...

Dan also gave me and Chris a copy of The Shack... Chris says it's great. I've yet to get my hands on it.

mrchrishill said...

No sure wyh spele cheak dont wok. Brok on min to.

Dona said...

How great- I can't wait to see the co-blog! How neat!

Kendra White said...

Darby, I got to your blog from Laura P. and I actually know you through Shellie E. she and I were college roommates. Anyway my husband and I just finished "The Shack" I read it in one day and it took him 2. Read it through once for the story and then read it again with a highlighter and notebook. It has brought fourth a lot of conversation in our circle of friends. Highly recommend!

Robin said...

So glad you are having fun solo ! I knew you would know what to do after a few hours..We are home and so happy to be here. The girls are coming in tonight to check on their dad. Robin

MarieP said...

WOW...both of those books sound incredibly good!

But yeah, if you haven't read Pilgrim's Progress, you need to do that first ;-)