Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Our Day on the Plains

As you can see we weren' t the only ones in Auburn for game day!!

We had an absolutely delightful time on our day trip to Auburn! Thankfully the Tigers barely pulled off a win. Here are a few highlights from our trip:


  • carrying on adult conversation
  • being with the man I love in the place where I met him and fell in love with him
  • being with some great friends {Susie & Joe}
  • running into handfuls of friends from Auburn days
  • running into a few blog stalkers! :)

As I mentioned in my earlier post, Pop Pop just retired. These tickets were a gift to Pop Pop for his retirement from a colleague {so to speak}. Pop Pop's more of Gator fan so we were the gracious recipients. They weren't just "any" tickets. We had 4 tickets to a suite... aka: BOX seats! Now, this is not how I would prefer to watch every game because it definitely lacks the "stadium" feel... but the prime rib, desserts, and drinks... all at an endless supply, wasn't too bad! We didn't know {or so we thought we didn't know} the other folks in the box. Come to find out I knew one of the guys from my days at Auburn and Justin and Joe knew one of the other guys... unfortunately we didn't come to the realization until the game was over... we spent the first 3 hours staring at the back of their heads.

Here are some pictures from the box to give you an idea of the "feel"....The man in the orange shirt was sitting about 1 inch from Susie... although, they were separated by glass.

Cheering on the team seemed a little silly; I was quite certain they wouldn't be able hear us.

Ok, my next topic of conversation regarding our trip to Auburn would be the COEDs. I graduated from Auburn 7 years ago this December and I don't remember what we wore around campus but I guarantee we didn't wear what some of the girls on campus wear now. I seriously saw some booties hanging out from under dresses. Seriously! There was one young lady in particular who {I wish I had snuck a photo of} who had on an Adidas Tennessee t-shirt with a wide leather belt around her waist and thus created her own little dress. Yes, a t-shirt with a belt and VOILA her game day outfit. I couldn't believe my eyes. At least it was cost effective!

Speaking of COEDs... there were a couple young ladies in our box who decided to take full advantage of the free drinks and polished off the Michelob Ultra in a matter of a couple hours. I got to know them fairly well, as they were quite "friendly". At the end of the game one young lady told me she wished I could stay and hang out with her, although tempting, I politely declined her offer.

Here are a few more pictures:



This is Thomas Sparrow-- a good friend of ours. I'm sure there are a lot of y'all who know him. If you look up entrepreneur in the dictionary... there will more than likely be a picture of him next to it.
War Eagle!

12 comments:

vanessa said...

Well I wish you could have met another one of your blog stalkers there, but I don't have box seats! I know Thomas, I helped him choose his flooring for his condo & office. He is also one of the nicest people around.

Katie said...

I know exactly what you mean about CO-ED's and their choice of clothing - or lack thereof. I just wanna yell "why buy the cow if you can get the milk for free?!?!"

I won't though :)

Sarah's Fab Day said...

Looks like a really fun time, I love going to games when I get a chance.

Shireen said...

GREAT pics!

Looks like y'all had a great time.

YOU look wonderful, Darbs. ;)

Ashley Turnbull said...

So much fun! We sat in the boxes last year and had a blast w/ the free stuff, but I agree - nothing like sitting in the stands w/ the masses! Oh, and I knew Thomas as well - he managed (I guess) the condo my parents owned that my brother lived in (Campus Courtyard). He was so funny!

Glad y'all had fun! We may head to Vandy this weekend!

Anonymous said...

You should have seen the outfit I witnessed at the Indiana University football game against Ball State. It was an IU shirt cut down the sides and then with the strips cut into the sides and tied in knots (like they make those fleece blankets). She wore no bra and had cut off the neck so that it fit around her chest and was tied on the sides all the way down. Her t-shirt was her "dress".

Cousin Melissa

Ashley said...

So glad you got to go!! Wish we could have joined you!! :)

Kellie said...

I'm glad you had a great time and that Auburn pulled off the win for you! I'm not making any games this year - the whole tailgating, then nursing thing gets me - but next year I'll be back in the saddle at every game(too bad I'm possibly missing one of our best years yet!!) Roll Tide!

Mommy Harris said...

Girl, I know exactly what you mean about the COEDS. What are they thinking going to a night game wearing that get up? They are going to freeze their little.....well you get the picture. :-) My daughter will never dress that way...I hope...Dear Lord...please help me!hahaha

Ford Family said...

Funny you mention the co-eds & their choice of clothing, b/c we just sat at our tailgate and watched them walk by and thought "Seriously...."!!! War Eagle!!! Shea Ford

Wilson's Winners said...

Looks like ya'll had fun! Wish I could have been with Ashleigh when she ran into you! Also, Thomas is so sweet! Brad and him sit on a community board together and I met him through work. I also think his Mom was one of Brad's grade school teachers - or maybe I'm just imagining that. Anyway, Great guy!!! OH - BTW - Don't think I'm not constantly reminded about the dress of CO-eds every day. Think if you lived here! That's one reason Brad was scared to have a girl!!!! Maybe we'll catch up next time you're in town!

erin said...

wow. now that is a full crowd! hope you had fun... I think I might need medication to be in such a big mass of people