Saturday, August 30, 2008

Reader Readers to the Rescue...

I should have known that you all would come to my rescue... my deleted blog post from yesterday showed up {about 5 or 6 times} in my inbox. And didn't I say I needed to hear read it over & over ? Thank you to all you kind "reader" readers. If you don't use Google reader might I suggest you give it a try? It's the best way to read blogs. Especially if you have a lot you like to read. You can find out more about it here. When the 'delete forever' error occured I was attempting to delete the "happy shirt" picture for fear that it was too boobiefied. But with my husband's approval I'll put it back on, only because so many of you liked it and because 99.9% of you are females. It's not as though I was in a bikini... which would be frightening and scare 1/2 of you away because my naval resembles a hurricane on the doppler radar. Maybe I should affectionately call my naval "Gustav"... no, I like "Hanna" better.

So far the weekend has been great!!

Yesterday's post...
"I long to accomplish a great and noble task; but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble." Helen Keller


When I rolled out of bed this morning I wasn't too happy of a camper. I kept thinking about how I wish we had plans for the long weekend, something more than me staying at home with the children once again while Justin works all day Saturday & Monday. I was longing for my parents to live closer than 12 hours or my grandmother or someone* who wouldn't mind if I called and honestly asked, "Would you like to join me and my three kids at our house for the long weekend? They're all really needy and only one is potty trained & she occasionally will wet her bed. They like to argue with one another and they're not very obedient. They rarely use their manners without me reminding them. My house is messy and I have stacks of laundry everywhere. Now, don't you all raise your hands at once!!" I was wishing my sister wasn't boarding a plane and off on another adventure and that my brother in law wasn't also hopping on a plane to spend the long weekend with my parents. I was down and out. Rethinking it now to put it in this blog almost brings tears to my eyes.

So, I put on my "happy shirt" {to pretend like I was} and black yoga pants {no, I don't actually do yoga I just had a baby and well, don't all moms wear sweatpants?}. This shirt isn't typically my style but when you have kids things change. I didn't buy this shirt for myself but rather for them. They absolutely LOVE it when I wear it. I poured a cup of coffee, wallowed in my circumstances, wished for older children and someone to help me and the Lord brought me this. I don't know Natalie, but apparently she knows me. {please read that link!} I've heard it before and eventually I'll learn {maybe not this side of eternity} that the Lord can be glorified in changing poopy diapers, breastfeeding a child, making eggs, folding laundry, and wiping faces, counters & bottoms. He changed my heart and my attitude. I put on my big girl panties, unloaded the dishes, loaded the dishes, wiped 3 poopy bottoms, made eggs, cleaned up eggs and decided we needed to get out of here. I loaded all 3 in the car and took them to the park. We had a great time. I tend to get caught up with myself & my measly tasks honorable motherly duties that I often forget to treat my girls to fun outside of our home. The girls played on the playground and we walked the nature trail and I ended up pushing the stroller and carrying Paige {I'm sure it was amusing to the other walkers}. I didn't mind. I was just glad to be out of the house with my 3 most precious little ones.





How did Helen Keller know so much for someone who could see and hear nothing? Maybe it was better that way {and of course I don't really mean that} we live in a deceptive world that often makes me think that the things I do in this home have no nobility or honor, as though I have little to contribute to our society; don't I need to be on some board, volunteer to do something, lead a Bible study, teach Sunday school?? Between Helen Keller and Natalie, and ultimately God, my head is held high, I'm encouraged and thankful for my "season of life" & motherly duties... even if I do have to go at them alone on a long weekend. If I knew how to program the computer to show me this blog post every morning I would, because like the Gospel, this is a message I need to preach to myself every morning, presumably tomorrow morning when I take a Saturday on alone.


*Now, I don't want any of you nice people to volunteer to accompany me this weekend... I know y'all and that's why I have to put this disclaimer... I'm likely to get a few emails from very nice & selfless people saying they'll come be with me this weekend.

14 comments:

Kellie said...

I'm glad it's back - I like to re-read these inspirational things - and it also helps to re-remind me that I'm not the only "crazy" mom out there! I love the shirt - be thankful for your boobies while you have them (I'm sure they disappear like all the rest of us breastfeeding moms:)

Jessica said...

I'm glad you re-posted - and with the happy shirt :) I just blogged about the beginnings of my appliqueing - I've started on the owl, but still need to stitch him and then sew the buttons on... I put a few pictures up, but I'll post the final product also. Thanks for the instructions and all the good info!

Unknown said...

thanks Darby :) I'm hoping they turn out ok once I sew them on (the owl's feet are going to be tricky!!). The pile of fabric is from various places - some of the Amy Butler was ordered online, some found at the Quilting Patch here in town...other fabrics were "borrowed" from my mom's stash (she has bookshelves and dressers full - she quilts). The pear/apple and green polka dot and the black/whites were actually found at Jo-Anns here in town - the pear/apple is an Alexander Henry and the green one doesn't say - I wish I knew!

erika said...

hey! really glad this post is back up. i admire your honesty... and i really wish i could pack you up (with a breat pump) and take you to beantown with me!
we'll go back when you get that youngest off the mammaries*.
I love your t-shirt,
xoxo
e
*- I had to look up the spelling

simply seleta said...

All of my comments start with, "I really know how you feel." So I won't say that again. Let's see, so how else can I say that? Hmmm...

I wish I lived closer because I'd come hang out with you. The offspring could play. I kind of struggle with feeling isolated with many little ones, especially on holiday weekends when it feels like everyone else is out all dressed-up and out partying. By partying I mean not having to be back at home for 1 o'clock naps, change diapers, cook and clean, wipe booties, and bust up sibling fights. Ha ha ha.

Love the happy shirt.

A friend once told me that in the big timeline of life, this phase is just a blip on the radar screen. She said if you live to be 80, this is just a slither of a time. Keep truckin, you'll make it out! And you will be honored for being such an amazing mom.

Amy Nunnally said...

Here's a random thing that might entertain you this weekend: http://wordle.net/. You copy and paste some text into the program, and it creates a neat word-art graphic with the most common words showing up the largest. You can link directly to your blog, but it only uses the most recent posts. I tried it with a few letters a friend posted on her blog about her new baby, and I'm going to make it a gift for her nursery. It's fun!

The Pavliches said...

i know how hard it is when your hubby works on the weekend at the same time that all of your girlfriends are with their husbands. I wish we lived closer for those times! That's what you need is a friend that is in the same boat! But you are right, God has given you this season for a reason, and it will make you strong and most DEFINITELY more dependent on HIM! You are doing great, Darby!

Caroline said...

Hope you are having a good weekend! I hate it when my hubby isn't home too! (and I only have 1 child!)
When Ike was deployed for months weekends were always the hardest for me becasue I felt like we should be doing something as a family. I totally understand you feelings while he works on weekends!

Lindsey said...

Thanks for this post and the linked post. Even though I don't have children I can relate. I think we all can relate (children or not) b/c I think everybody goes through phases where they wish they were back at a certain time in their lives. But we can't dwell on the past (good or bad) and I have a habit of doing so.
Btw, now that my SIL had her 3rd baby in June (3 kids 4 and under; very similar to you) I see how hard it is to be a mom and the struggles that she deals with daily. So kudos to you, her and all moms b/c it's a tough, but oh so rewarding job! :)

MIMILEE said...

You are the most HONEST person I have ever known! You say what the rest of us are feeling but don't express it! Hope your weekend wasn't as lonely as you thought ......I am sure it wasn't!
My newest most favorite saying is, "It could be worse".....I remind myself of that on a daily basis! Take care and STAY the Course, Girl!

With Understanding and Love,
Lee <><.........Proverbs 3:5,6

Tyne said...

I am soooo with you! can you please tell me where you got that shirt. I need it. I am pregnant with my fourth, I have a three year old, a two year old and a nine month old. my hubby had to work on Saturday and Monday. And grandparents are 10 and 28 hours away. Yuck. Can we be friends?

Thanks for encouraging us. Way to put on your big girl panties. I am going to put mine on right now.

Anonymous said...

I vaguely remember those days when I just wanted to scream. One more poopy diaper would have put me over the edge. But what I wouldn't give for one more day with my kids as precious babies. I know it's very hard when you are in the middle of it, but someday you will miss this time in your life. I moved Megan to IU on Wednesday so my nest is feeling a little empty. Mackenzie and Ed went camping (I stayed home due to allergies, and Colton stayed home due to new girlfriend!) I have always longed for a weekend to myself, but after a day of it, I'm ready for my family back!! These really are precious times, and you are an amazing mother!!! I sure wish we were closer because Mackenzie and I would love to watch your kiddos. They are the cutest!!!

meredith said...

Girl! You know I would be there in a heartbeat! I am dying to see that sweet baby and your precious girls! You can call me anytime and I will come a running!

Meredith

Susie said...

Hey, if I lived near you I'd come hang out! I admire your faith and honesty and I think I could learn a thing or two about kids!